Tag Archives: ill

confined to quarters

Catriona had a rotten cold all weekend and the boys picked it up at the end of the weekend. Not to be outdone I started getting a sore throat and the sniffles on Monday too. I was determined not to let this one beat me like the last one derailed my December streak plans. Monday afternoon I had a bit of a cough that became a bit more persistent as the day went on. Tuesday I still had the cough but felt OK so off to work as normal. As the day went on the cough got a bit worse and by evening I was also feeling a bit breathless. At this stage I was starting to get a bad feeling.

At bedtime and I was feeling an ache in my thighs that was very strange and worrying. At this point I’d already decided to call the doctor in the morning and arrange a Covid consultation. I woke at 130am with pains across my shoulders and in my lower back. These, as well as the ache in my legs came and went all night preventing any sleep, even a doze. By morning I was also slightly feverish but only a little with a temperature of 37.8°C and a dose of paracetamol and ibuprofen soon sorted all symptoms shortly after getting up.

A call to the doctor and all four of us were sent for Covid tests in Letterkenny for 1130am with results expected in 24-48hrs.

As the day went on I was feeling a bit better, the fever was gone and the cough easing. The pains were a lot less and although I was tired I put it down to the lack of sleep. All of us felt OK and we were starting to feel a bit foolish and even talking about the fact that we had wasted resources with the only result being a talking point experience of the test process. I was feeling especially foolish about causing worry at work having informed my boss of my symptoms and test that morning.

After a solid night of caught up sleep I woke to see this on my phone:

All four of us tested positive but thankfully all of us are still only experiencing mild symptoms. The boys are pretty much OK to the extent that Owen thought this morning that we were pranking him about the result! Catriona has a chesty cough and both of us are more fatigued than usual but that’s it so far.

The advice from the doctor is to treat the symptoms as a normal cold or flu but not to ignore any changes for the worse. I’ve been reading Dr Google and apparently symptoms can worsen after a mild start and can go from mild to severe quite quickly. Increased breathlessness is the key one to watch for.

We now have to stay home until next week. I was the last to show symptoms but we’re all going to isolate from the same day (Monday) to be on the safe side. That means we’re at home and not allowed to leave the house until Thursday the 14th. Frustratingly that includes even going for a walk in case we meet someone. Assuming we don’t experience any escalation of symptoms that will be the biggest challenge!

something is missing

Rosie has been ill since Wednesday evening. She was very subdued going to bed that night, lethargic and very shuffly. Yesterday morning she was in very poor shape, having difficulty walking, not eating or drinking and unable to stand for long. I was convinced she was dying. I went to work in terrible form, convinced she wasn’t going to make it through the day. I was that convinced I didn’t want to take her to the vet, that she would simply be put to sleep. She was showing no signs of pain or distress so I wanted her made comfortable and be allowed to die at home. I was convinced she had either cancer or heart failure and that nothing could be done.

All through the day she was no worse nor better and yesterday evening she was showing some small signs of improvement. This morning she was still with us but showing signs of a discharge from her rear end. I contacted the vet who thought it sounded like a womb infection. This was confirmed by scan and after antibiotics and fluids she had emergency neuter surgery this afternoon.

She’s still not out of the woods, she has a lot of toxins in her system and she may yet succumb to shock from the surgery as she’s no longer a young dog. However, the vet was reasonably positive this evening and will decide in the morning if she is well enough to come home or if she needs further observation over the weekend.

Here the house feels very empty. She’s a big part of our family and constantly with us about the house. Tonight she’s missing and it’s painfully noticeable. Hopefully she has a good night and strong enough to come home tomorrow and we will be a full family again 🤞